It’s a cocktail, a dessert, and in the case of awkward conversations with Cousin Steve, a life-saver. A drink that goes back centuries but stands the test of time because it has the power to make almost any situation better. This recipe is part Julia Child and part Bobby Flay. A little old school mixed with a little new school to make for a whole lot of deliciousness. It’s sweet, savory, and just boozy enough to accompany a roaring fire or wild holiday party. Either way, be sure to enjoy with friends.
Ingredients (Makes 6 glasses):
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 8 egg yolks, plus 4 whites
- ¾ cup bourbon (we like Bulleit bourbon)
- ½ cup dark rum (we like Mount Gay Eclipse)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Grated Mexican chocolate for garnish
- Boil milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla beans and seeds in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium until sugar is dissolved, 6–8 min.
- Place yolks in a bowl; slowly whisk in milk mixturea little bit at a time; return to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 10–12 min.
- Strain though a fine-mesh sieve into a punch bowl or pitcher; let cool.
- Stir in bourbon and rum.
- In separate bowls, and using an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream until stiff peaks form; fold both into eggnog. Garnish with nutmeg and chocolate shavings
The Perfect Playlist W/ The Tipsy Eggnog
Classic and contemporary, popular and random, this mix is as eclectic as your ornament collection. Like the Tipsy Eggnog cocktail, we’re mashing up some old school, new school, and even some no school holiday tunes to turn the holiday cheer dial way up.